The Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) purposes to offer a prospect to deserving citizens of ADB’s developing member countries to carry out postgraduate studies in economics, management, science and technology, and other development-related fields at participating universities in the Asian and Pacific Region. Upon conclusion of their chosen study courses, students are expected to work towards improving the economic and social expansion of their home nations.
• Applicant must have fulfilled the following criterion to be considered for the scholarship:
• A citizen of an ADB borrowing member country (applicants from countries that are no longer borrowing from ADB are not entitled to the ADB-JSP Scholarship).
• Attained admission to an approved MA/PhD course at an academic institution.
• Excellent academic record.
• A minimum of two (2) years of full-time professional working experience (attained after a university degree) at the time of application.
• Expertise in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
• At most 35 years old at the time of application. In special cases, for programs which are suitable for high-ranking officers and executives, the age limit is 45 years old.
• Should accept to return to his/her home country after completion of studies under the Program.
• Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the Scholarship.
• Candidates living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible
• ADB-JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
• ADB-JSP does not sponsor undergraduate studies, distance learning programs, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, and research projects
• Must be studying in one of the following fields: postgraduate studies in economics, management, health, education, agriculture, environment, natural resource management, science and technology, and other development-related fields.
This varies per institution applied for so check the provided website link below to know when your deadline is.
The ADB-JSP offers complete tuition fees, a periodic maintenance and accommodation stipend, an allowance for books and teaching materials, health insurance, and travel expenditures.
This scholarship is for a year with an addition to the second year of study, as suitable, which shall be dependent on the researcher retaining an acceptable level of performance as deemed by the school. The maximum period of scholarship award is two years for masters and doctorate courses.
Instructions for application
Interested students should ask for information and submission forms from the selected Academic Institution and should point out to that Institution that they are applying for admission and that they would like to be considered for the ADB-JSP Scholarship. The finished Institution application form and mandatory documents, as well as the ADB-JSP Information Sheet form, should be given to the academic institution. No separate application to ADB is necessary.
It is important that you send requests for scholarships at least six months before the scheduled period that you wish to begin studies.
Link to scholarship