How to Find the Right Scholarship:
Since Financing College education is already overwhelming and a bit stressful, applying for scholarships shouldn’t be. Unfortunately, looking for a scholarship can seem a daunting task. After all, higher education is certainly not cheap. Choosing the right kind of scholarship can, however, make a huge difference in the life of a young person. But, how do you find the right one? And how can you avoid scams? Here is an easy guide to help you go about this
The most important things that scholarship programs consider:
· Academic excellence- This can be demonstrated with ACT, high GPA, SAT and high-class rank. It’s, therefore, important to know about your academic abilities before applying for a scholarship.
· Leadership skills- You need to demonstrate that you have leadership qualities having held important positions in sports, student groups, student jobs and other extra curricular activities.
· Service to the community- You need show that you have invested your time and other resources in your community with a consistent and meaningful work.
· Relationships with mentors and educators- Most programs also evaluate the relationship that you have with your mentors and educators. They normally do this through short phone conversations and letters of commendations.
· Clear goals- Those who offer scholarship programs are also interested in students who have clear values and goals. You can show that you have clear goals through your in-person interviews and your application essays.
How to choose which scholarships to apply for:
Although you might come across many scholarships in your searches, it’s impossible to apply to all of them no matter how smart you are. In order to maximize your success, it’s very important to pare down the numbers and types of scholarships to apply for. When filing your application, here are some key questions to ask yourself.
Do you meet all the requirements- While this appears obvious, it’s very important. Carefully go through all the requirements and ensure that you meet them.
Are you fit for the award? – You need to ask yourself whether you are the target audience for the scholarship
Is the scholarship worth it? -While some scholarship programs ask for a lot of documentations, these obstacles may not be worth it. It’s important to know whether the scholarship is worth your time.
When is the deadline- It’s important to know whether the deadline conflicts with any other responsibility that you have ahead. Avoid the ones that you’ll not finish in time and that may require you to miss your other responsibilities.
Applications tips and strategies:
Once you have chosen the scholarships that you want to apply for you need to get
· Get organized- You need to set up your application plan with all the information that you need so as to track your progress.
· Think strategically- Applying for scholarships depends on the numbers hence you need to apply to as many of them as possible.
· Have someone to review your scholarship application- While it can be tempting to skip this step, it’s very important. If you are writing an essay, make sure you get a teachers feedback. Also, check for typos, general clarity, and any missed information
When it comes to scholarships there is a lot to learn. It’s, therefore, important gather all the information that you need and fill in the application in the best way.